I ripped this recipe out of a magazine that I got at a local health food store and held onto it for a long time before finally giving it a try, with only a few modifications. When my husband tried one and told me to put this recipe at the top of the pile, I figured it was worth sharing. It is a great source of protein and healthy fat. Just remember, serving size is 1.
Grab N’ Go Protein Bites
Adapted from a Recipe by Gwen Eager for Garden of Life https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/garden-recipes/grab-n-go-bites/
- 1 scoop of protein powder (I used Garden of Life Sport Vanilla Powder)
- 2 cups of unsalted cashews (I used salted cashews, oops)
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raisins (recipe called for dried cranberries but I was trying to avoid the added sugar and haven’t found any that are apple juice sweetened)
- 1/2 cup dried coconut flakes
- 20 small dates soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine coconut flakes and cinnamon and set aside.
- Place protein powder and cashews in food processor and process until well mixed with a flour-like consistency.
- Remove dates from water.
- Add coconut oil, dates and cranberries to mixture in food processor and pulse until everything begins to stick (about 20 pulses).
- Roll cookie balls and coat in coconut flake/cinnamon mixture.
- Refrigerate to harden the texture of the cookies.
Approximate nutritional Information (per cookie ball, assuming unsalted cashews)
170 cal; 5 g protein; 9 g total fat (3.5 g sat fat); 18 g carb; 0 mg chol; 2 g fiber; 13g sugars
Please note, I tried making these in my Vitamix. I highly recommend that you use an actual food processor as step 4 didn’t go very well in the Vitamix and I almost burned out the motor.